ALIENATING ABIA ELITES, MY GREATEST MISTAKE – ORJI KALU - VOWS TO FIGHT CORRUPTION TO STANDSTILL

POLITICS: 

Former governor of Abia State, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu has said his greatest undoing during his eight year stint at the government house was alienating the elites in Abia state.

This is even as he has hinted that he lobby for a one term of six years for presidents and governors.
The ex-governor who said he will champion sustainable democracy and fight corruption in the country through his nongovernmental organization, the Orji Uzor  Kalu foundation was reacting to question in a programme Views From The Top aired on Channels Television.
Kalu who lamented that his greatest mistake as a governor was not carrying the elites along, noted that he only cared about the masses on the street as a governor.
Dr Orji Uzor Kalu. Orjikalu.com 

“Maybe I was very young when I was a governor. I was 38. Maybe I was only thinking about the masses on the streets. I was not thinking about the comfort zone of the rich people. I was all out for the poor people on the streets. If I am given another opportunity, Ii will combine my politics between the poor and the rich. I will like to also consult the rich and get them on the table to discuss like I was discussing with the poor.

"The greatest mistake I made was alienating the elites totally. I confess this anytime I speak to anybody. It couldn’t have cost me anything to call them like I was calling the Labour Congress to tell them, this is the amount of money we have; tell us how we will utilize it; you have to factor the cost of my free education, free medical healthcare, workers’ salary and teachers’ salary into it. So I could have just formed a committee of the elites and explain this policy to them”, he said.  

Kalu who is the publisher, The Sun newspapers said his next project will be to ensure that he deepens democracy in the country and ensures corruption is stamped out adding that though he will not be contesting for any elective position, he will still be in active politics.
“Every Nigerian should participate in politics because it is our uty. If we were not in politics for example, uring the third term saga it could have gone through. Strong characters said no, this cannot happen. If we are not in politics, these things happening today will not happen. It is not everytime we are in the comfort zone. Sometimes also, we have to be in the discomfort zone to be able to move forward.

“So when people ask me, I say, I am not interested in doing party politics possibly not now or in the near future but I cannot stop doing politics. Every human being is a political animal; moreover when my tribe and Nigerians are economical with the truth. So how can I go leave the terrain where truth should be told?
“I can go back to corporate life tomorrow which is what I have done. I am not talking about politics. I am retiring to be doing farming in my village. You find that these things are like that but you cannot totally leave politics and moreover I must have a stake and interest in politics in Nigeria. Even when I am not running for politics in Nigeria, I must have a stake and say in politics. I don’t pretend about it and I don’t want to make you feel good about it. I must be in the business of politics. Now APC has won, I must know all they promises they have made and I must continue asking them questions.

“Let me tell you in the next four to eight years, I will be working on a project. We might start with Buhari. That project will be to o six years in one term. I have been saying this. Look at the amount spent doing politics in the name of running for president. Look at the amount of time spent for re-election. This economy nearly collapsed because people are running for re-election. My immediate duty is to talk about six years for one term and it might start with Buhari.



My nongovernmental organization, Orji Uzor kalu Foundation will step out. I am going to partner with some people from the north. One of them will be my CEO. We are going to fight bills to make sure that we extend the tenure of presidents and governors to six years. We are a developing country. We cannot afford to be spending billions of dollars every time in election. Food is more important than what we have done. I am going to play a big role for advocacy for sustainable democracy. The democracy is fragile. We need to do everything. I am going to be putting time in the foundation to help remove corrupt officers. We need to fight corruption. It is not by mere word of mouth. It is by attitude of the people,” he said. 



#ChangeNigeria Join @WAIC_squad
chukwuiobi74@gmail.com
info@sucoconsulting.com,
 08030902410,
www.facebook.com/chukwudi obi.33,
@sonsnid741,
5564abf3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six years after, Abia Chapter set to host AGM

ABIA 2024: Health, Sports and Fun Dominate Activities

Abia Chapter to storm Aba for historic meeting